No one else will think of this one, a truly unique gift for pet lovers... make your own healthy dog treats.
We all know someone who loves their dog more than people. If you want to find a unique gift for pet lovers that no one else will think of start here with our food dehydrators. Sound boring? It definitely won't be for them when they are making their own healthy dog treats. Or how about buying one for yourself and giving the treats as a gift! Either way they will love it.
Pet lovers love to know exactly what their doggy treats are made of. With unhealthy treats everywhere at the moment and overseas companies taking over some of our own Australian brands what is in the doggy bag may not be such a treat.
Going bananas for bananas in your food dehydrator!
Why do we go bananas for bananas? The Australian Banana page says "peel good, feel good". Bananas have bone strengthening magnesium, folate for a healthy mind and Vitamin B6 for that feel good energy. Dehydrate bananas in your BioChef Food Dehydrator for healthy snacks that last the distance.
How to make banana chips in your food dehydrator
Slightly brown-flecked bananas will have the sweetest, most concentrated flavour when dried.
Peel the bananas. Slice bananas into 1/4-inch or 3/8-inch chips.
Dip each banana slice into the lemon juice. This lessens browning
Compare food dehydrators in Australia with our handy Food Dehydrator Comparison tables. Below we outline the features and benefits of each dehydrator, making it easier for you to make the right choice.
Compare BioChef, Excalibur & Sedona Dehydrators
A food dehydrator is an electric appliance which uses both air and heat to remove the moisture or water content from foods. Water is what makes food spoil or go bad and without water, bacteria and mould can't grow. Bacteria, yeasts and molds need the water in the food to grow, and drying effectively prevents them from surviving in the food. Usually a fan and a heating element are used to create the dehydration environment.
Drying food using sun and wind to prevent spoilage has been practiced since ancient times, and was the earliest form of food preservation - it helped our ancestors through droughts and famines. Fortunately, today's technology has made this process much easier and more effective, with modern day dehydrators regulating the temperature for even and consistent drying.
Read on to discover the top 10 reasons why so many people are using dehydrators to dry their foods, today!
Make your own! Try these easy and (much) healthier snack recipes using a food dehydrator.
Snacks can easily be one of our biggest and unknown over-indulgences, with most snacks packed with hidden refined sugar, preservatives and colouring. Making your own snacks will not only save money but you can control exactly what goes into them, meaning the end result is much more wholesome and nourishing. Take a look at our dehydrator snack recipes below:
Click ahead to view the dehydrator snack recipes here...
Fruit roll ups - a healthy, cost saving and delicious alternative to store bought 'mystery treats'
Fruit roll ups are very easy to make with the horizontal style of BioChef Arizona or BioChef Savana Food Dehydrators . Combining yoghurt and fresh fruit (not frozen fruits) and naturally spiced or sweetened produces a high energy, nutritious snack food.
Use ripe or slightly overripe produce that blends and tastes good together. Here are a couple of ideas to try.
- strawberries and yoghurt
- bananas and pineapple with a sprinkle of cinnamon
- seasonal berries and peaches with a dash of honey
- mango with a small amount of fresh ginger
- apple and kiwifruit
Wash and remove any blemishes, stems or pits and peel the produce if desired. Puree the produce with or without some yogurt in a BioChef
Dehydrating technology has taken a huge leap forward with the Savana Dehydrator which use two 300 watt fans to spread heat evenly, has a tempered glass door for easy viewing and plenty of drying space.
Here are some tips for easy dehydrating using the Savana Dehydrator:
- Try to slice or cut food all the same size so it will dry at approximately the same time. Make thin, flat cuts.
- Don’t slice food too thin. 6mm to 10mm thickness is perfect. Use a ceramic knife to further reduce oxidation.
- The larger the cut area, the faster and better the food dehydrates since moisture escapes best from a cut or broken surface.
- Thin stalked vegetables like green beans, asparagus or rhubarb should be cut in half the long way or with an extreme diagonal cut. Fruit should be sliced across the core. Place these
The Bio Chef Dehydrator is a versatile kitchen appliance, allowing you to create wholesome and healthy snacks, bread alternatives, meat jerky and much more.
Dried fruit and fruit leathers
By blending your favourite fruit combinations you can create real fruit roll ups or leathers, minus the sugar, sodium and preservatives commonly found in store bought fruit roll ups.
Healthy vegetable chips, crackers and snacks
Make you own healthy chips with dried vegetables simply by cutting up the produce adn drying for the appropriate time. Time guides are listed in the recipe book. You can dry pretty much anything but a few examples are beetroot, zucchini, sweet potato. A simple sprinkle of sea salt and this makes a wonderful snack. Another favourite recipe is to blend omega-3 rich Flax Seeds with water and seasonings, mould into flat cracker shapes and dehydrate.
Save money by making your own meat jerky
For those who eat meat, dehydrating it
How do I benefit from an Excalibur Dehydrator?
- You’ll save money on food bills when you buy & dry foods in bulk.
- You’ll preserve & savor every fruit & garden vegetable you grow.
- You’ll preserve fish & meats FAST — just 4 hours.
- You’ll dry more easily, less expensively than canning or freezing.
- You’ll eliminate preservatives & additives in the food you eat.
- You’ll give your kids (yourself, too) healthy alternatives to junk food.
- You’ll dazzle your tastebuds with high-flavor foods (flavors intensify with drying)
- You’ll dehydrate a full load of food for just 25¢ worth of electricity.
- You’ll dry home crafts, flowers, dough creations.
- You’ll make it pay for itself in no time.