Homemade Sprouted Flour
Sprouted flour… it’s a labor of love, and although it may take a while the end result it is definitely worth it! We will explain the benefits of sprouted flour and how you can create your own sprouted flour using a food dehydrator.
Why Make Sprouted Flour?
Back in the day the traditional way to prepare grains was to soak them until they had begun to form little sprouts, they did this for easier digestibility, to increase the essential vitamins like vitamins B and C and to reduce the bad phytic acid which can actually decrease the bodies ability to absorb iron, magnesium, zinc, copper and calcium! This method of preparing grains can even help break down the gluten in the wheat berry making it possible for people with a gluten intolerance to enjoy grains again!
Sprouted grain flour is fast becoming popular in many home kitchens and cafes. Many healthy home enthusiasts are returning to these wise and traditional preparation methods. Make it in bulk and store it in airtight containers in your cupboard or you can even freeze it to use in sweet treats like sprouted grain cookies, or sprouted bread. There is nothing better than knowing you have made your own healthy flour!
Sprouting takes a bit of time, but it is quite easy and can be done in bulk so that you only have to do it every month or so depending on how much sprouted flour you use. You can sprout any grain, provided you’re working from the whole grain berry, not a rolled, flaked or otherwise damaged grain. Wheat, spelt, oats and barley all work well for sprouting.
Do be mindful that you need to begin the dehydrating process not long after the root tip appears, if left to sprout for too long you run the risk of “malting” the grains. This can cause the flour to become overly sweet and you can end up with a gooey under-cooked texture when used for bread and cakes.
In most cases you’ll be able to purchase whole grain berries at your local health food store.
It’s a beautiful transformation and a wonderful process for the whole family to be involved in.
What you will need to make sprouted flour:
- Wheat Berries
- Glass Jars
- Mesh/Cheesecloth or some new clean stockings cut into squares (big enough to cover the top of your jar and secure with a rubber band)
- Thick Rubber Bands
- Food Dehydrator
- Grain Mill or Blender
How to Make Sprouted Flour
1. Start by filling your jars about 1/3 to 1/2 full with your wheat berries
2. Fill your jars all the way to the top with water
3. Cover with the mesh, cheesecloth or stocking squares and secure with a thick rubber band
4. Allow them to sit for 8 hours or overnight (by the morning the grains will nearly be to the top of the jar!)
5. In the morning drain the water out (leaving the cover in place) and leave upside down in your sink at a slight angle if you can to ensure the air is able to circulate around the grains
(TIP: resting then jars on a cake cooling rack will enable you to leave on an angle)
6. Every 6-8 hours rinse with more water and leave to drain as in step 5
7. Continue this process until the root tips begin to form, you want the sprouts to be about 1/4 inch long, this can take anywhere between 6 – 48 hours depending on how warm your kitchen is.
(NOTE: The root tips forming means that the grains have been prepared properly and that the wheat has finally released that nasty phytic acid!)
8. Now it time to dehydrate! Spread the seeds out on your BioChef Dehydrator Trays, you will also need to use Non-Stick Sheets or a Fine Mesh Sheet so that the dried grains do not fall through the holes.
9. Dehydrate for 12 – 18 hours on 35 - 60ºC. You don’t want to go over 60ºF as you will destroy all of the enzymes you released during sprouting
10. The grains are done when you bite into one and they are no longer chewy or soft. They should be hard and have no moisture left.
11. If you have a Grain Mill you will simply need to put them through your machine and you will have the freshest, most nourishing flour you have ever tasted. If you do not have a Flour Mill you can still make flour by putting the dehydrated grains into your BioChef Blender and pulverizing until a fine powder has formed, you can then sieve out any of the bigger pieces and VIOLA! Fresh sprouted flour!
Easy right?! Yes. And so good for you!
Now that you’ve made your sprouted flour why not try one of these yummy recipes… You won’t be disappointed!
Easy Sprouted Flour Pancakes
Makes 12 pancakes (8 if you make them really big!)
- 2 cups of sprouted wheat flour
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tbs coconut oil frying
Mix together all ingredients and cook in a hot greased fry pan.
*Serve drizzled with maple syrup or honey, or you could top with fresh bananas and strawberries!
Sprouted Flour Lemon Muffins
- 2 lemons
- 3 cups of sprouted wheat flour
- 1 ½ cups of buttermilk
- 2 organic eggs
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 tbs melted butter
Preheat oven to 180ºc
Zest and juice both lemons and mix together with all other ingredients. Divide evenly between well greased muffin trays (coconut oil spray is good for this) and bake for 45 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Lovely eaten warm or cold.
Now that you know how to get the best out of your grains there will be no stopping you! You will be able to make a whole plethora of delicious and nutritious treats, crackers, breads and pie crusts. You’ll be spoiling your loved ones with health and they won’t even know it…. It’ll be our little secret.
Our Top Tools for Making Sprouted Flour:
✓ NEW UPDATED MODEL! Digital Display + non-stick sheets included ✓ 6x Stainless Steel Drying Trays + 100% BPA Free Outer Casing ✓ Digital Display: 19.5 Hour Timer + Adjustable Thermostat: 35º to 70ºC ✓ Horizontal Drying System = Guaranteed Consistent Drying ✓ Transparent Door & Removable Trays ✓ Includes: 1x Non-Stick Sheet, 1x Fine Mesh Sheet & 1x Drip Tray ✓ 3 Year Warranty ✓ Free Gift Included with Purchase! ✓ $20 discount for limited time only! Use code: DEHYDRATE20 to redeem
✓ Revolutionary LED Touch & Swipe Panel ✓ EPT™ (Enzyme Protection Technology) with LED thermometer on tamper ✓ Japanese Stainless Steel blade system ✓ Available colours: white, red & black ✓ Domestic Warranty: 10 Years on Motor, 7 Years on Parts | Commercial Warranty 1 Year