Healthy beetroot chips
Pass the beets
Beetroots are currently in season around Australia so now is a great time to try adding more beetroot to your diet. Whether making wholesome snacks for you and your family or adding them to your daily juice, beetroots are a superfood that pack a punch.
Top five health benefits of beetroot
- Help to cleanse your liver: Beetroot is full of beta cyanin that can aid your body with detoxifying your liver. This can filter through to your bloodstream, helping your body to eliminate toxins. This can help prevent the build-up of fatty deposits on your body.
- Beetroot juice can help fight against strokes and heart attacks: The juice from beetroots has been shown to help reduce your blood pressure. A recent study at the Royal London Hospital found that once beetroot is swallowed it produces nitric oxide. This is a powerful substance made by our blood vessels to help keep our blood pressure low.
- Boosts your immune system: This same study found the nitric oxide beetroots produce in our body works like our white blood cells, helping our bodies to fight off infection. Not to mention the unbelievable range of nutrients and minerals and vitamins found in beetroots that help boost your immune system.
- Beetroot is full of vitamins, nutrients and minerals: This vegie is a workhorse. It contains vitamin C and iron, both of which are essential elements for health and vitality. It also has: folic acid, phosphorous, magnesium and B6. The vitamin C in this vegie also helps our bodies to absorb the iron...GO BEETROOTS! But keep in mind, vitamin C is water soluble. This means that if you cook it, it will lose a lot of its powerhouse goodness. The best way to eat this vegetable is RAW.
- Beetroots can make you happy: Beets have been shown to contain betaine. This compound can increase your body's natural production of seratonin.
- 3 medium beetroot (or more if desired)
- 2 tsp extra virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp sea salt (if desired)
Method in a dehydrator
- Slice beets into thin slices - a mandolin works great here if you have one.
- Drizzle with extra virgin Olive Oil and sprinkle with sea salt to your preference.
- Leave sitting for about 30 minutes to absorb the flavours of the oil and salt.
- Spread pieces evenly on your dehydrator trays.
- Set your dehydrator to 52ºC and leave for around 8 hours - depending on how crispy you like them.
Tip: We like to separate them into equal portions and put in containers for my kids lunches. I also fill a glass container with them and leave them on my desk at work for a beautiful and delicious snack.